Thursday, June 25

flora hauora




These were published in urbis magazine at
least two years ago. It was one of my favourite
features.

I had the idea that I wanted to do flower arrangement
story that only utilised native flora. I had this leafy green
and stark white vision in my head but actually when I
met up with Katie Lockhart - the stylist - all I said was
that it had to be a still life story featuring native flora.
I knew that Katie would come up with something beautiful.
Katie worked with Derek Henderson - the photographer-
to create these pictures. Katie took the idea further
and found native plants that have medicinal properties.
Derek kept it simple and played with light and shadow in
a very subtle way.
Looking at it again today I am struck by how
crisp and
beautiful
it is and I feel an interesting aesthetic quality
was uncovered.